Academy of Management Learning and Education
Rationality and Management Learning and Education: Reconceiving and Reinvigorating the Role of Reason in Managerial Practice
Submission Deadline: March 31, 2020
Influencing Regulation, Policy and Society through Research
Submission Deadline: May 31, 2021
Academy of Management Learning and Education (AMLE) journal publishes a wide range of materials devoted to management education in colleges and universities, and all organizations that formally foster learning about management in four content areas: research and reviews, essays and dialogues, book and research reviews, and exemplary contributions. Interviews are discussions with academics, educators, and business or thought leaders that would be of interest to our readership. AMLE is not a teaching-practice journal that publishes descriptive work, rather, it is a scholarly journal that publishes rigorous logical and empirical analyses of courses, curricula, programs, and other practices within business schools.
Research and Reviews Submissions Should
- Be quantitative and qualitative empirical manuscripts, or theoretical discourses and models, or literature reviews, all of which apply general or specific appraisals of approaches to individual learning and management education
- Consider prior literature as well as relevant theoretical perspectives
- The nature of the contribution to the literature may also be practical, such as when a new teaching or assessment technique is demonstrated to be more effective than other established techniques
- A correlation matrix of all variables, including descriptive statistics
- An effect size for every significance test conducted, such as from one of the two major classes of effect sizes appropriate for most statistical tests (the first class of effect sizes involves standardized mean differences. Effect sizes in this class include indices such as Glass' Δ , Hedges' g, and Cohen's d. Because most analyses reported in our journal are part of one General Linear Model family, variance-accounted-for effect sizes are the other option. Effect sizes in this second class include indices such as r2, R2, and ŋ2)
Essays and Dialogues Submissions Should
- Be original commentaries or critiques
- Broadly advance the state of scholarship in the area of the target paper, as opposed to being primarily critiques of the reasoning or methodology of the target paper (authors of the target paper are not generally permitted to respond to a Dialogue, unless the Editor and relevant Associate Editors deem that such a response could add significant value)
- Touch upon topics such as: current and future issues and trends in teaching, learning, and management education
Before developing an interview-type manuscript, prospective authors are strongly encouraged to consult with the section editor to ensure that their topic and approach is consistent with AMLE's mission and audience:
Paul Hibbert (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Russ Vince (R.Vince@bath.ac.uk)
Exemplary Contributions Should
- Be written by prominent scholars or practitioners
- Not be uninvited manuscripts
We encourage you to send suggestions of individuals who have made significant contributions to individual learning and management education to:
William (Bill) M. Foster
Book and Resource Reviews Should
Review materials that can be used by management educators, practitioners, and researchers and are particularly interested in reviews of resources drawn from across the disciplines. Unsolicited reviews will not be accepted.
We encourage readers interested in writing reviews and those who have suggestions of materials for review to contact:
Megan Gerhardt, Associate Editor
William (Bill) M. Foster, Editor
The editor will screen all manuscripts submitted to the Research and Reviews, Essays, Dialogues, and Interviews sections. In some cases, a manuscript may be returned without peer review if it is judged to be inappropriate for publication in AMLE. Manuscripts that are deficient in grammar, spelling, and punctuation also may be returned without review.
Manuscripts judged to be consistent with the mission and standards of AMLE will be submitted for double-blind review to at least two referees as dictated by content-one referee is always an Editorial Board member. Senior authors can expect to receive first-round feedback via email in approximately 75 days, moderated by the editor or an associate editor.
Manuscripts will be evaluated by referees on the following criteria (criteria will be selectively applied, based on the nature and type of the manuscript):
- Originality and importance of core ideas
- Quality of treatment of the relevant existing literature
- Quality of the presentation of ideas
- Design and execution of research methodology (if appropriate)
- Overall contribution of the article to the advancement of management education
- Authors are encouraged to solicit feedback from colleagues on early drafts. A manuscript can be improved dramatically when knowledgeable reviewers are asked for reactions in advance of submission. Manuscripts are considered with the understanding that their contents have not been published and are not under consideration elsewhere. Presentation of a paper at a professional meeting does not disqualify it from consideration.
Submission of a manuscript to AMLE also carries an implicit quid pro quo: willingness to review for AMLE. The cornerstone of the editorial process at AMLE is the willingness of colleagues to provide each other feedback through peer review. Authors who submit manuscripts to AMR for review are expected to reciprocate by reviewing for AMLE if called upon to do so.
Directions for Users with an Account
Go to the Manuscript Central Website and login. At the Welcome Page, go to the Author Center. On the right-hand side of the page, you will see Author Resources. Click below to submit a new document.
This is a six-step process.
- Type, title & abstract
- Document Type: From the drop-down menu, select type of document.
- Insert title.
- Insert abstract (if you are submitting a proposal, insert a brief description about your proposal).
- Select a keyword. Then click “Add”.
- Authors and Institutions
- This page allows you to add additional authors.
- Details and comments
- Answer all of the questions on this page. Please note that you should include any acknowledgments in the Cover Letter section. Because of the distinctive nature of ANNALS papers, the qualifications of the author to provide a definitive review of the area proposed is relevant to the decision to issue an invitation. Thus, the Annals requires all authors to submit a current Curriculum Vitae (CV) as part of the submission process, but the CVs will be reviewed only by the editors, not the reviewers. Please upload the CV as a supplementary file Not for Review.
- File upload
- Please note that File Designation is a drop down list and refers to the type of document that the author is uploading: proposal, article, table, figure/image, supplementary file for review (which can be viewed by editors and reviewers), or supplementary file Not for review (for the editor's eyes only).
- Review and submit
- This page allows you to review your entire application and make any necessary changes before submitting.
Directions for New Users
Go to the Annals area of Manuscript Central Website. On the right-hand side, you will see a box that says New User? Click "Register Here”.
Registering is a three-step process:
- Email and name: Enter salutation, name, and email address
- Address: Enter your mailing address
- User ID & password: Here, you must create a password.
- Keyword: From the drop-down menu, select the keywords that describe your area of expertise. We will use this information to assign you articles to review.
- Unavailable Dates: Let us know if you are unavailable to review during a particular time period.
- Signature: Insert your name and title.
- Browse: This should be left blank.
If you need assistance with uploading your paper, please contact the ScholarOne helpline on weekdays (Monday-Friday) between 12:00-20:30 ET (GMT-5) at +1-434-964-4100 or +1-888-503-1050 (US). You may also email them at: email@example.com or visit their website.